Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday Night Dinner: Four Cheese Risotto

Really this dinner was on Wednesday, but it seemed like our normal Sunday night dinner, so I'm posting under this category.

Tonia's cousin Sylvia and her two friends have been visiting from Italy and volunteered to make us (and teach me to make) four cheese risotto.  They are from Asiago, so it was going to include asiago cheese, but they couldn't find it so in its place was: Swiss Emmental, Parmesan, Gorgonzola and Pecorino.


We sliced the cheese and diced half an onion, then sauteed the onion with some oil and butter. If you want to do this the true Italian way, you must say, "bellisima!" many times throughout this process. 


Sylvia discarded the onion after it had been sauteed (I think to infuse the oil and butter with the onion flavor, but we had a language barrier issue so I'm just inferring that) and then added many handfuls of arborio rice and began the stirring, stirring, stirring process that makes risotto. 


We gradually added some beef broth, did more stirring, then stirred some more, then added some more broth. Finally we added our cheese ("Bellisima!"). If you're like me and you don't like Gorgonzola, you take your portion before that bit is added.


Sylvia and friends also bought us this lemon meringue cake from Tartine. This is one of those cakes I see in their display and wonder if it tastes as good as it looks.  I really liked the meringue and the caramel/lemon creme filling but didn't love the cake layers. I realize I may get thrown out of San Francisco for saying this, but I haven't been that impressed with any of the cakes I've had at Tartine. I'd much rather have a tart or some bread or the quiche. Ohhh the quiche. We'll save that for another day.


Grazie, Sylvia, for a lovely meal (and not minding me taking a million photos)!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...