Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Guaymas Restaurant, Tiburon

Yesterday we made like tourists and took the ferry over to Tiburon for lunch.  It's nice to have visitors in town so you can do things in your city you wouldn't ordinarily do - like going to Fisherman's Wharf, for example.  The ferry to Tiburon drops you off right in front of Guaymas - very handy if you are bad at directions.


My experience with restaurants directly on the water - especially in touristy areas - is that the food is generally bad. I was really pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food here - especially the guacamole, which was really flavorful. I prefer guac to be a little more chunky, not so smooth, but the flavor made up for the texture.


There were 8 of us, so we ordered the appetizer platter which included these tamales wrapped like little presents.  There were also flautas, empanadas and chalupas.


By the time the entrees arrived, I was already pretty full.  I'm not sure why I even bother to order at Mexican restaurants, because this happens nearly every time I go to one - I eat WAY too many chips and then don't want the rest of my food. I ordered shrimp fajitas, which I didn't love. They weren't bad,  but they seemed to lack some flavor.  To be fair,  I will say that everyone else that ordered fajitas seemed to like them more than I liked mine. The best dish at our table was the Camarones Rellenos - giant grilled shrimp with cheese and jalapenos, and wrapped with bacon. 


While this certainly wasn't the best meal I had this weekend (see here and here) it was a really good time and great for such a large group. Go here for that - the food is really secondary.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...