Monday, January 18, 2010

Woodhouse Fish Co., Fillmore

Today was a day of lots of eating. Post hot chocolate, we headed over to Fillmore to walk around, and then wanted some lunch. First off: Is it just me, or does it seem like every restaurant is opening additional locations in the Fillmore area? Delfina Pizza, Dosa, Slanted Door, Kasa and Woodhouse Fish Co., to name a few.

Delfina was already packed, so we decided to go to Woodhouse. We have eaten at Woodhouse twice before: first here at the Fillmore location, and then another time at the original Market street location. The first time we ate here, I was pysched because they had Manhattan clam chowder on the menu. Why is this so hard to come by on the west coast? In NY, every diner on Long Island has Manhattan clam chowder on the menu. I grew up eating that and I just can't get into the New England version. The second time, we went to the Market street location because we were nearby, and after waiting 45 minutes for a table, we found out that they don't serve Manhattan style at that location. Big bummer.

Anyway, back to today. We ordered 2 big bowls of the Manhattan clam chowder, crab cakes and sauteed spinach. We got the chowder first, and well... it wasn't so good. What happened? Had I imagined it the first time, because I was just so excited it was on the menu? Or did someone accidentally knock the entire supply of pepper into the bowl, because that is all we tasted. I tried to persevere, but at a certain point, it was really just feeling like work eating this gigantic bowl of pepper. So I gave up, and moved onto the rest of the food.

The rest of the food, like this picture, was just not that good. The spinach was cooked totally unevenly - some leaves were barely wilted, others were way over done and the crab cakes were just too fishy. 

Maybe I got spoiled, because we had only just recently eaten at The Lobster Shack (where I forgot to bring my camera) and their chowder AND lobster rolls are out of control amazing, or maybe it was just an off day at Woodhouse. Either way, I think next time we'll stand in line at Delfina.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...